[cisco-bba] Cisco 7206 non-VXR for BB Aggregation

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Mon Jul 7 13:42:54 EDT 2003

inline

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Tay Chee Yong wrote:

> Thanks Dennis for your valuable advise.
>
> >From the following website,
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps314/prod_module_configuration_guide09186a008007c79b.html
>
> it mentioned that "CAR policing algorithm impacts performance due to its
> additional use of processor resource. Typical performance impact may be
> about 20 to 30%, although it would vary depending on the traffic mix and
> the configured protocol:"... "Using an ACL with CAR will affect performance
> depending on the type of ACL used"
>
> The above document is meant for Cisco 6400 series. Does it applies to Cisco
> 7206 router?

yes it does if you are not making use of the 7401 or the 7200 with NSE-1
which can perform services in PXF.  if you are doing software forwarding,
there is a performance degradation with service enablement in a number
of cases.

> May I know how bad is the impact on the CPU resources if the CAR is
> configured on the virtual template, compared to configuration done via AAA?

i don't believe the method of provisioning has impact on actual performance
other then your Calls Per Second rate.

cheers
.siva