[cisco-bba] ADSL RBE and DHCP

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Fri Jun 27 19:57:58 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to RBE and also to Cisco's DHCP server implementation,
and I'm not turning up any good examples on CCO.

I currently have all of my ADSL subs (covad is the DCLEC, one pvc per
customer) terminating on a 7206.  Each sub has a subinterface, ie:

in atm 2.0/1999 point-to-point (where 1999 is the VCI, for convenience)
 ip unnumbered loopback 4
 atm route-bridge ip
 pvc 0/1999
  encaps aal5snap

and then a static route pointing to the interface:

ip route 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.255 atm 2/0.1999

That all works fine, but I am curious if this is how other people are
doing this, as I am chewing up one interface per ADSL sub.

My other question is bringing DHCP into the mix.  I swore that at some
point I found a doc on CCO that described a way to do "static" DHCP
assignments based not on MAC address, but on what pvc the request comes in
on.  Is this possible?  How are most of you handling this?  Do you use the
IOS DHCP server or forward off to another box?  Or buy a Redback? :)

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman