[cisco-bba] strange PPPoE virtual-access interface

Mark Johnson mljohnso at cisco.com
Thu Nov 20 13:06:39 EST 2003

At 06:05 PM 11/20/2003 +0200, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
>I have noticed that after booting a 7200 a "strange" virtual-access
>interface is created, although no actual users exist in the router.
>This va interface is said to be a PPPoE interface, but i don't have any
>pppoe config on the router, just L2TP termination.

 From CSCdz83041:

"The Virtual-Access1 interface is a Base VtMgr vaccess (also seen in
the output of "show interface virtual-access 1"). This is created for
internal use and is not freed.

When PPPoE or PPPoA are enabled, a base vaccess is created for
each application. Similarly, when a VPDN tunnel is terminated
on the LNS, a base vaccess is created for it. These base vaccess are
needed to support sub-interfaces, utilizing the various vectors
in the base vaccess's hwidb. These base vaccesses are not freed,
and this is the expected behavior."

Then there is also CSCdy60608 (not viewable), which I think eliminates
this VA creation for any image that has the PPPoE subsystem (regardless
of PPPoE being configured).

Fixed in 12.3.  Looks harmless, still.

mark