[cisco-bba] Round Robin PPP over L2TP

Dennis Peng dpeng at cisco.com
Tue Sep 23 12:34:53 EDT 2003

Thomas Bridge [thomas at wibble.to] wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:05:45AM -0400, Vince Mammoliti wrote:
>
> > Thomas can you explain your network a little more.
> >
> > Would you like to load share across multiple LNS ?
>
> We have a BAS which is the logical end point for PPPoVPDN connections.
> These connections clearly come in over L2TP tunnels over an IP
> connection from the incumbent telco.
>
> The IP link the L2TP comes in over is contended at the moment.  There
> are three L2TP tunnels coming in from the telco - from each
> of their three regional POPs.
>
> Each L2TP session contains a large number of individual PPPoE connections.
> As far as I can make out, L2TP siimply shares the capacity on FIFO
> basis.   I'd like to try to make thi round robin - so that a flood of
> packets on one session doesn't delay the packet on another session.

You could implement policing on the virtual-access to prevent certain
customers from using up too much of the bandwidth. It sounds like you
want per-L2TP-session queuing on the physical interface, but it won't
work right now because our various queuing mechanisms only look at
L2/L3/L4 information and not any deeper. To separate the different
sessions, we'd have to look into the L2TP tunnel header.

Dennis