[cisco-bba] Problem traffic shaping individual PPPoE sessions on a Cisco 2621 XM running c2600-telco-mz.123-7.T3.bin

Whittle, Michael michael.whittle at thus.net
Fri Aug 6 07:16:35 EDT 2004

Hi Tassos,

I have already tried that:

CPR00227-test#show policy-map interface Virtual-Template 1
 Virtual-Template1

  Service-policy input: PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC

    Service policy content is displayed for cloned interfaces only such as
vaccess and sessions

  Service-policy output: PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC

    Service policy content is displayed for cloned interfaces only such as
vaccess and sessions

---
As you can see above each service policy "should" be cloned for each
session. It doesn't look like it's able to break down the stats for each
policy because they would be created and destroyed dynamically.

I have an idea of what the problem is here but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I found some documentation on the Cisco site describing how to configure
this using, 'traffic-shape rate':
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feat
ure_guide09186a00800f4b47.html#wp1043828

What the document says I should be seeing:

---
Examples
The following example tests virtual template 1 to determine if it can
support subinterfaces. The output shows that the traffic-shape rate 50000
8000 8000 1000 command that is configured on virtual template 1 prevents the
virtual template from being able to support subinterfaces.

Router# test virtual-template 1 subinterface

Subinterfaces cannot be created using Virtual-Template1

Interface specific commands:

traffic-shape rate 50000 8000 8000 1000
---

What I'm seeing:

CPR00227-test#test virtual-template 1 subinterface
Subinterfaces may be created using Virtual-Template1
CPR00227-test#

I'm not seeing the, 'Interface specific commands' which I think is the
problem here. For some reason when the subinterface is created when the
PPPoE session is established it's not carrying through the traffic shaping
configuration.

We are going to try and configure this on another platform and see if it
makes a difference but this should be working. I'm wondering if there's
something that could be enabled or disabled that would sort this out.

Any ideas?