[cisco-bba] Problems to monitor resource usage using Radius in ios 12.3(10)

RGCABELL RGCABELL at terra.es
Thu Oct 21 11:41:16 EDT 2004

Testing cisco ios 12.3(10) as a L2TP Network Server, I have noticed a
different behaviour on PPPoL2TP sessions treatment regarding to ios 12.2
(24).

Now a new L2TP session state is created when ICCN control packet is
received: "wait-for-service-selection" instead of "established". The
L2TP session is considered "established" when authentication process
succeeds, and a virtual-access interface is assigned to the L2TP
session.

During the authentication process, the virtual-access interface is
unknown, so the value for NAS-Port Radius attribute cannot contain the
virtual-access any more. New ios version sends a "uniq-Sess-Id"
assigned to L2TP session as NAs-Port value.

I have tried to test the criteria to generate this new value, and I
have seen that the value is a decimal number generated in sequential
form. But, when the value is around "1004", it is wrapped and it starts
at "1" again.

I have tested it at two different platforms: 3725 and 7200, and the
result is the same for them.

Why Uniq-Sess-Id is wrapped around 1004? could it be solved with some
configuration command? If not so, the monitorization of resource usage
using Radius will not work properly if Radius server uses an IP address
and a Port to identify a resource, and the number of simultaneous
sessions is greater than 1004.