[cisco-bba] BGP/ADSL aggreagation

Mark Tohill Mark at u.tv
Tue Jul 26 07:09:51 EDT 2005

I have posted on NSP list before with no response. It has a BBA
component so here goes! :-)

We have the following scenario:

We have two PoP's, PoP1 and PoP2, providing ADSL aggregation in both.

Both PoP1 and PoP2 have an edge router running iBGP with our upstream
provider, which happens to be the same provider (same AS), peering at
their two same-city PoP's.

Aside: The reason for iBGP is historical and one we hope to address soon
with the use of our own RIPE-secured AS No.

The plan is to move our ADSL aggregation in PoP2 to another provider in
same city, and maintain a link between the BAS and our PoP2 edge. PoP2
has non-contiguous IP space from our /16.

Question(s):

1. Does it make sense to run eBGP across our infrastructure? IMHO I
suspect it does, since we are multi-homing, of sorts at least.

2. Can we run eBGP/iBGP on our BAS terminating our ADSL users. I'd
imagine this would be frowned upon in Cisco, or has anyone tried it?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mark