[cisco-bba] NPE-G2 with C7200-I/O-2FE/E

Brandon Price brandon at sterling.net
Wed Jan 7 14:50:48 EST 2009

We swapped our NPE-400s out with NPE-G1s and kept the IO boards in
place(in our case C7200-I/O-GE+E)

We haven't had any negative repercussions from doing this. As a previous
poster mentioned, the console output remains on the I/O Board not the
NPE.

Also some of the filesystem device naming changes a little bit. The
NPE's CF slot will be referenced as Disk2: and the I/O Board retains
Disk0: and Disk1: for its PCMCIA slots. The bootflash: filesystem moves
off of the I/O board and onto the NPE.

As for the bandwidth issue, on the G1 and G2 NPEs, slot 0 (the I/O
board) gets its own dedicated PCI Bus. It no longer shares bandwidth
points with slots 1,3,5. This basically make the network ports on the
I/O board "free". This is why you can yank the I/O board and throw a
Jacket Adaptor (C7200-JC-PA) in there and get another PA slot, giving
you a 7207 VXR :)

Short of wanting to use Slot0 for a PA I can't think of an compelling
reason NOT to leave the I/O board in there. It's always nice to have
more ports...

On a separate note, I got my C7200-I/O-GE+Es for several hundred dollars
cheaper than PA-GEs on the secondary market. Good cheap way to add
another gig port to your router and you don't have to burn a PA slot....

Brandon