[cisco-bba] How to reset DSCP/TOS on LNS?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 01:27:19 EDT 2010

Hi Andy,

>From my reading of it that is correct. Bits 0-5 are used for TOS and bits 6-7 are used for Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) or are UNUSED.

Some reading material:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_precedence
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2474
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3168

The router is correctly setting the TOS bits to all zero as the TOS bits are only the first 6 and don't include the last two in this 8-bit header field. If your billing system is looking at all 8 bits as a TOS value then it could be suggested that it might not be an entirely correct implementation (or very old ?).

I've spent a few minutes googling and I can't find any way to explicitly changes the two ECN bits in IOS QoS. Doesn't mean it's not possible, just that nothing jumped out at me.

regards,
Tony.