[cisco-bba] 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC)

Nathan Downes nathandownes at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:41:53 EST 2017

Hi,

We use a 7204vxr with an NPE-G2 as an LNS,  Carrier sends sessions from their LAC to us via L2TP tunnel.

Use it more for FTTx than DSL, have about 30 DSL sessions and 400 FTTX connections, varying fom 12/1 to 100/40.  Pretty impressed with the NPE-G2, we average about 30-40% CPU with those connections, no extra cards in device, just using standard 3 gigabit ports on the NPE, one for inbound sessions, one for internet and one for radius.

In the process of putting in an ASR1004 with an ESP40 in a couple of weeks, a lot more coin than the 7204, but consolidating a bit and we do a lot of L2 Fibre connections to business customers, biggest reason is to get netflow for new data retention laws.

Not being a Cisco expert by any means, moving from a switch platform to a router platform has been a huge learning curve!