[cisco-bba] 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC)

Bruce Technical brucetechnical at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:40:47 EST 2017

Hi Harald,

Thanks again for the input.

*"You basically have to ask your provider whether they can send traffic for
@relamA and @relamB to different LNS IP-addresses.*
*If they can, you could use @realmA customers to be terminated at some
cheapo-LNS-device - they only get internet-access - end of story." *<<< I
am grasping the idea of SP sending requests to us to multiple 7204vxr but
what do you mean by @realmA to be terminated to some cheapo LNS device and
only internet access? I thought if we have two realms like
*john at mytelecom-a.com
<http://mytelecom-a.com>* would need the same support as a user we sign up
like    *sally**@mytelecom-b.com <http://mytelecom-b.com>*

"And then you could use @realmB customers to be directed to some
cisco/juniper/.. box where you can then add VRF and other options." <<< I
thought VRF is needed regardless (on both realmA or realmB) to keep
customer public IPs on separate virtual routes so they can't sniff each
other packets etc...which means we have to do this regardless. Isn't that
so? is there another solution as well?

"if your vrf customers get IPs from local cisco ip-pools you might even be
able to get vrf2vrf-connectivity by using static routes" <<< We are getting
multiple /24 blocks from our IP Transit provider (which might also be our
same DSLAM service provider) and I thought we talked that those will be in
Radius server and passed on to SP to assign to customer. I am not clear on
this part at all yet.

" I'd suggest in anyway to get two boxes, just in case one breaks or better
have them both terminate your sessions and be redundant always" <<< We
definitely have the budget for two or three boxes of these. Is there any
way to create a HA redundancy using multiple boxes?

Cheers,