[cisco-nas] Re: fax off-ramp...implementation questions

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Aug 12 16:53:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> a few things are unclear to me.  In the section:
> Task 2A: Configuring One or More Inbound MMoIP Dial Peers
> Step 3: incoming called number string:
>
> Is this a way to direct faxes to certain destination numbers to various
> dial-peers?  If fax calls are all generally going to be sent to "random"
> long distance numbers, can I just set this to "1" which would match
> pretty much all domestic LD numbers of the format 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx?
>
> Task 2B: Configuring One or More Outbound POTS Dial Peers
> Step 2: destination-pattern:
> Again, I'm not sure what to set this to (1?) since I won't know in advance
> any of the destination numbers.  I'm just assuming that they'll all be
> domestic LD calls.

ok...I have very basic email to fax off-ramp functionality working.
Setting the above number strings to just 1 seems to work.

> Step 3: port voice-port:
> This command seems to only accept a single voice-port, i.e. 7/0:1:0.  How
> do I tell the 5400 that all the T1's are to be used for outgoing faxes?
> Configure 28 pots dial-peers?

This part still has me stuck.  If I don't set a port in the dial-peer
voice config, faxes are not sent and I get an error email bounced to the
sender.  If I define a port, it looks as if I'm only assigning a single T1
for use for outgoing fax calls.

Other than configuring aaa / radius (not that I'm sure it will do it), is
there a way to get some feedback from the unit that faxes have been sent
successfully?  At the moment, I get no feedback that faxes have been sent
successfully...only an email bounce if the call failed to be made.  Not
sure yet what happens on busy.