[cisco-nas] Problem with Commited Access rate limit

raz raz at geo.net.pk
Sun Oct 12 23:00:00 EDT 2003

Hi there,

 I am using Cisco As5300 with 120 ports MICA modem and 4 E1 interfaces.
as we are using it for an ISP, to avoid improper uploads generated from dialup users due to worms like blaster and welchia we have tried to stop this upload with CAR command though the command seems to be working but when we check an infected user its upload goes beyond 70 kbps which shouldnt happen if there is proper CAR command implementation.
I am pasting the CAR configuation in our AS5300.

interface Group-Async1
 ip unnumbered FastEthernet0
 ip access-group 100 in
 ip access-group 100 out
 no ip directed-broadcast
 rate-limit input 8000 8000 9000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
 rate-limit output 32000 8000 9000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
 encapsulation ppp
 ip tcp header-compression passive
 async mode interactive
 peer default ip address pool setup_pool
 no fair-queue
 ppp authentication pap
 ppp multilink
 group-range 1 120

according to this CAR configuration the upload shouldnt go higher then 9kbps but infact it goes more than 70kbps as you can see below its more then 9kbps

geonet-ds1#show in as 64
Async64 is up, line protocol is up
  modem(slot/port)=2/3, state=CONNECTED
  dsx1(slot/unit/channel)=0/0/4, status=VDEV_STATUS_ACTIVE_CALL.VDEV_STATUS_ALLOCATED.
  Hardware is Async Serial
  Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 115 Kbit, DLY 100000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 2/255, rxload 126/255
  Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  DTR is pulsed for 5 seconds on reset
  LCP Open, multilink Open
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w6d
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue 0/10, 9441 drops; input queue 3/10, 0 drops
     3963840 packets input, 352277595 bytes, 0 no buffer

So i would like to know where i am making the mistake and why the CAR is not functioning as we want it to function.

would appreciate your help

Best  regards

Raz
Geonet.