[cisco-nas] IP Route Profile

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Thu Sep 11 10:34:53 EDT 2003

> Does anybody have any idea what "ip route profile" means or does?  I found
> it in a config, but I can't find any documentation on CCO for it.

Good question.  "ip route profile" was implemented way back in late '96
by CSCdi76662.  However we have historically refrained from documenting
this (CSCdk01634, CSCdz19775) as this has been declared to be a hidden
command that "should not be used by customers".

However, in fact this is NOT a hidden command ... so I've just now
gone ahead and reopened CSCdz19775.

On to what this command does ...

   Introduction

   The Route Table Profiling feature was developed to assist network
   engineers in monitoring routing table fluctuations, which may be
   the result of route flapping, network failure, or network service
   restoration.  This feature was added in CSCdi76662 to the 11.1CC
   train of Cisco IOS.

   The Route Table Profiling feature is an undocumented and
   unsupported feature.  There is no MIB support provided.

   Configuration

   The Route Table Profiling feature is enabled globally.  The
   command is "ip route profile" in global configuration mode.  This
   feature can be disabled with the command "no ip route profile" in
   global configuration mode.

   Routing table change statistics can be viewed with the "show ip
   route profile" command in exec mode.

Documenting the format of these statistics is outside the scope of
this message.  Hopefully we can make this public if/when we document
the feature.

Aaron