[cisco-nas] Unable to connect into AS5350 with some USB modems

Patrick Ndegwa pndegwa at ke.uu.net
Thu Apr 1 01:22:43 EST 2004

Hi there,

I have recently installed a Cisco AS5350 and connected to 2 R2 lines (this
was an upgrade from a 3Com Total Control Chassis - phew!!) I am currently
running Cisco 5350 IOS Version 12.2(2)XB2 with SPE firmware version 0.8.5.0.
It seems to be accepting connections from most modems except the following
USB modem:

+ MECER USB V.90 56k FAX/MODEM FCC ref. No. MQ4USM560
+ FCC ref. No. H52PT-3050

The connections from these modems are characterised by prolonged
hand-shaking with no ultimate connection. Typical errors include "...Modem
did not respond.." (even after the handshaking has taken place!!!) We have
tried with a large number of analogue telephone lines with the same result.
Interestingly enough, when I use a USR USB modem, connection is established
without a problem. In addition, the same USB modem was able to connect on
the Total Control previously with no problems. Is there a setting I have
missed on AS53509 that does not allow connections from certain modems? Is it
a compaitbility problem?

Rgards,
Ndegwa