[cisco-nas] IP Pool usage tracking

Aaron Leonard Aaron at Cisco.COM
Wed Apr 7 19:34:41 EDT 2004

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Aaron Leonard wrote:

> > Dumb question ... why not use DHCP or RADIUS to assign the addresses?
> > This would give you a centralized view of the address usage and would
> > allow you to avoid preallocating address chunks for sparsely populated
> > NASes.

> Cleaner routing.  I'd much rather assign sufficient IP space to each
> access server and have it announce a few aggregate routes than randomly
> assign IPs via RADIUS and have hundreds of /32 routes per box.

I KNEW you were going to say that :-)

Well, there are cosmic schemes that I am only dimly aware of where
you can have a DHCP server that feeds down IP subnets to a DHCP client
which will then turn around and use these to populate their own DHCP
server with address space to serve to THEIR DHCP clients.

I don't know if that scheme updates the routing tables everywhere
though ...

Aaron