[cisco-nas] IP Pool usage tracking

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 7 21:28:03 EDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Aaron Leonard wrote:

> > Cleaner routing.  I'd much rather assign sufficient IP space to each
>
> I KNEW you were going to say that :-)
>
> Well, there are cosmic schemes that I am only dimly aware of where
> you can have a DHCP server that feeds down IP subnets to a DHCP client
> which will then turn around and use these to populate their own DHCP
> server with address space to serve to THEIR DHCP clients.

I had a feeling you'd say something like that.  I know that at least some
RADIUS servers can support giving out IPs from a pool (probably even a
pool per radius client), but that just moves the problem from the access
servers to the RADIUS servers and makes routing more interesting.  Either
you end up with lots of /32's or you configure some summary-addresses on
the access-servers, at which point you may as well have assigned the pools
via local pool.