[cisco-nas] Optimum Asynchronous Configuration

Mario Kinsman mjkinsman at necsys.net
Fri Feb 27 16:20:01 EST 2004

Hello,

I wanted to know if any of you have any recommendations for optimum configurations for async dial-up ppp connections. I want to squeeze every bit of throughput from my dialup connections. I am using Cisco AS5300's and running Mica modem portware 2.9.5.0 . Is there a specific IOS revision that seems to implement tcp/ip better than others?
Or is there a better/older version of the portware that I could be running? I need to run a v.92 release because I offer the Modem-on-Hold feature. Also I have a couple of questions that relate to the subject of this email. Why is it that in almost all of the "Cook Book" configs that I've seen fair-queuing and fast switching are disabled?
It would seem that at least fair-queue would be advantageous as it states in Cisco's docs that this is the default queuing method for low speed interfaces. And why is it that fast switching is not appropriate for async connections. What about CEF on async interfaces?
Any answers to these questions, or example configs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Mario Kinsman
mjkinsman at necsys.net