[cisco-nas] Syslog messages

Aaron Leonard Aaron at Cisco.COM
Thu Feb 26 13:23:06 EST 2004

> This may be a little off topic, but does anybody know if there is a knob to
> turn off certain syslog messages? Let's say I don't want to get the
> following message logged, is there a way to block it?

> Feb  5 11:36:13: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by bob on vty0
> (192.168.1.2)

> I don't want it to go to the buffer or to a syslog server.  And I don't mean
> this specific message, it is more of a general question of "can I block
> certain messages in IOS".  I know the PIX has a way to shut off messages,
> but I can't find a way on the routers/switches.

> Thanks.

> Peder

Some syslog messages can be individually turned on/off in some
adhoc way.  For example, the link UPDOWN messages can be
disabled on a per-interface basis with "no logging event link-status".
In the case of the CONFIG message - I don't know a way to
disable this one individually.

In general, you can configure a minimum message severity for each
logging destination.  For example, to keep your %SYS-5-CONFIG_I
message from going to a syslog server or into the logging buffer, use:

logging buffered <size> notifications
logging trap notifications

This means that only messages of severity 5 (notifications) or
above will be logged to the buffer or a syslog server.  Since
SYS-5-CONFIG_I is severity 6 (informational), it will not be
logged to these destinations.  They will still be logged to
other destinations (such as console or monitor.)

This also means that any OTHER messages of severity 6 (such
as link UPDOWN will not go to the buffer or to the syslog server.

Aaron