[cisco-nas] Authentication between two routers

Richard Loubier expinet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:25:13 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a dial-backup on a branch office router (routerB). This
router will dial-in an AS5300 in the company hq (routerA). I am using ISDN
(128k) as the backup line.

As routerB is connecting to routerA, the ISDN connection is established and
the authentication is taking place. But there is an error at this level and
after 1 second, the connection is dropped. routerA is using CiscoSecure for
all the ppp authentication (remote users as well as remote routers).

In CiscoSecure, I set up an account for routerB with the enable password of
routerB as the password. This doesn't work.

I also tried setting up the separate CHAP password in ACS but no luck...

ACS is always telling me that the password for routerB is invalid.

All examples I found were using local databases on the routerA. Is is
possible to do router authentication using ACS?

By the way, this is ACS3.1, routerB IOS 12.2(19a) routerA IOS 12.2(1c)

Thanks!

Richard