[cisco-nas] Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC)

Chris Atkinson akko at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 21 22:34:11 EST 2004

Hi All,
What's the general feeling about enabling software compression (inparticular
mppc) at the NAS/LNS end for the benefit of 56k PSTN & 64k/128K ISDN dial-up
clients?

Is it something that is worth enabling provided that the NAS/LNS has
sufficent CPU available? ....Will having it enabled cause connectivity
issues for dial-in clients who don't support the protocol and can anyone
comment on what the performance is like in an environment whereby PPP
sessions are tunneled through from the LAC/NAS to an LNS using L2TP?

Quote from Cisco.com
------------------------
Compression is performed in software and may significantly affect system
performance. We recommend that you disable compression if CPU load exceeds
65 percent. To display the CPU load, use the show process cpu EXEC command.

Both end-point devices must be configured to use the same compression method
(predictor, Stacker or MPPC).

If the majority of your traffic is already compressed files, we recommend
that you not use compression. If the files are already compressed, the
additional processing time spent in attempting unsuccessfully to compress
them again will slow system performance.
End quote.

Much appreciated, Thank you.

Regards,
Chris Atkinson.