[cisco-nas] Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC)

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Mar 22 01:35:18 EST 2004

At 10:34 PM 3/21/2004, Chris Atkinson wrote:
>Hi All,
>What's the general feeling about enabling software compression (inparticular
>mppc) at the NAS/LNS end for the benefit of 56k PSTN & 64k/128K ISDN dial-up
>clients?

If you have the CPU to spare, it works GREAT! Customers definitely notice
the improvement in speed. Our workaround is a 7206 non-VXR with NPE225 and
SA-COMP/4 cards coupled with an AS800.

>Is it something that is worth enabling provided that the NAS/LNS has
>sufficent CPU available? ....Will having it enabled cause connectivity
>issues for dial-in clients who don't support the protocol and can anyone
>comment on what the performance is like in an environment whereby PPP
>sessions are tunneled through from the LAC/NAS to an LNS using L2TP?

You MIGHT be able to get away with a VXR with an NPE-G1 and an AS5800, but
I don't think any of the AS5200/5300/5350/5400/etc have enough CPU to
support all channels running compression. We saw unacceptable performance
with an AS5800 with compression enabled with an NPE300. We have never
tested compression on our AS5300s.

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey