[cisco-nas] Routing - centralized address pool - multiple NAS

Pierre de La Motte pierredelamotte at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 05:44:35 EST 2004

Hello,
I would like to implement a configuration where a single address pool is
hared among multiple NASes (LNS as a matter of fact).
The address pool is shared among NAS through a Radius server.
A basic way to do it would be to split the address range associated with
the pool into several address sub-ranges, each of them allocated to a
specific NAS. On receiving an Auth Req Radius would just return the IP
pool identifier and each NAS would allocate an IP address locally
associated with the IP pool identifier.

Now, I would like to allocate susbcribers IP addresses directly from
radius from a global address range shared among the NAS.

I have two questions with regard to such a configuration - routing and
session control:
- what is the best way to implement such a scheme from routing point of
view. How the downstream router will route the subscriber returning
traffic to the right NAS, knowing that an address may be allocated to
one NAS then to another over a period of time.
- how to avoid session duplication over the NAS group - two subscribers
using the same username, resulting in having two active sessions active
terminating on two different NASes.

Thank you
-Pierre

--