[cisco-nas] can we use bandwidth command on Interface to control bandwidth ?

Thomas Braun tb at westend.com
Thu Jun 30 05:03:24 EDT 2005

Hi,

> Can we use “bandwidth” command on router interface for control the
> bandwidth of the link? For example, we will have one customer that
> will connect cross over to our router interface, and they will need
> 128 kbps bandwidth. Can we use the command bandwidth to set the
> bandwidth on our router interface as follows:

No, the bandwidth command doesn't change the physical bandwidth.
It is only for routing protocols and such things.
You should use CAR or MOQ to limit the traffic.

int [interface]
rate-limit input 128000 16000 16000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
rate-limit output 128000 16000 16000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

Look here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t2/ftpoli.htm
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios111/cc111/car.htm