[cisco-nas] Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Nov 8 06:41:03 EST 2005

And one important point: The 3620 will likely never be able to stustain
the load for a significant number of pppoe sessions (assuming those are
DSL customers).. You can likely terminate several hundreds idle sessions
at the same time, but once traffic is sent over the sessions, CPU can
max out.

You always have two components to worry about:

- control plane scalability (how many sessions at which rate)
- fowarding plance performance (how much traffic is switched through the
box)

Either one or both are limiting factors, so you could easily reach the
max with a single session transmitting at several Mbps per second on the
3620..

	oli