[cisco-nas] Offload PPPoE processing from DSL aggregation 7206 to another 7206?

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Jul 19 19:39:31 EDT 2006

I have about 1000 PPPoE users on an 7206vxr with NPE400.  The CPU
load is at about 75% according to the MRTG 1 and 5 minute averages.
According to sho proc cpu, the load is much higher than that for tens of
seconds at a time.  I'm thinking that is about as high a load as I want
on a router.

I have another 500 users I need to migrate over from aquisition of
another ISP.  My connection to the Telco is an OC3 and the migrated user
will be brought in over the same OC3.

I figure I have two options.

1) Buy an NPE-G1.

2) Figure out some way to hand off PPPoE processing to another 7206VXR
   with an NPE-300.

I apparantly have not yet found the correct search terms to locate any
documents showing me how to do option number 2, or it isn't possible.

Could someone point me in the right direction here?

lambert at lambertfam.org