[cisco-nas] stable, but recent, IOS for 5350

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Thu Mar 30 13:30:21 EST 2006

Hi Jamie,

I would probably recommend going to 12.3 mainline.  On the 5300, a
concern I might have there is this widely encountered but never really
figured out bug:

CSCei63851
Externally found moderate defect: Unreproducible (U)
mica modems randomly marked as bad in any version afer 12.3(6)

So 12.3(6f) might be a good call for a 5300 (this also affects 36/3700
with MICA.)  Allegedly this CSCei63851 problem is also not seen in
12.3(17a) and above, so 12.3(17b) or 12.3(18) might also be OK.

As far as your Tacacs+ problem with anything beyond 12.2(2)XA5 ... your
issue likely has to do with the fact that we did a complete rewrite of
the AAA subsystem ("Papapa") in 12.2(4)T.  There should be virtually no
user-visible behavior difference (other than better performance), but
there are some corner-case changes (typically having to do with security
holes being patched.)  You should not have lost any compatibility,
although perhaps some reconfiguration may be necessary.

The "reference" Tacacs+ server is to be found at
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/pub/tacacs/ .

Cheers,

Aaron