[cisco-nas] AS5300 modems busied out - 12.3.18

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Fri May 26 13:28:48 EDT 2006

Hi Tassos,

>> Modem recovery can automatically busy out modems, if it should see
>> excessive failures on certain modems and decide that it wants to
>> "recover" the module.
>>

> I have neven seen on 12.2(15)T16 busied out calls (we're talking about
> 20 routers with this IOS), although i get messages like:
>
> May 25 04:00:00: %MODEM-1-MODEMOK: Modem (2/96) Running old firmware
> May 25 04:38:00: %MICA-5-MODEM_RECOVERY: Modem (2/96) is being
> recovered by asap-redownload
> May 25 04:38:06: %MODEM-5-DL_START: Modem (2/96) started firmware
> download
> May 25 04:38:19: %MODEM-5-DL_GOOD: Modem (2/96) completed firmware
> download:
>
> On the other hand, in 12.3.18 (only one router and in the same hunt
> group with the other 20), i never got such messages, but i had quite a
> lot of busied out calls.

Doesn't the modem log show *anything* when the busied counter increments
for a modem?

>> There are probably some other reasons why the router will decide
>> automatically to busy out modems, ... oh, I just though of one, that
>> little featurette where where we proactively busy out modems to
>> signal to the switch that the trunks are busy to force the switch to
>> hunt to a different router.
>>

> Can you explain it a little bit more?
> Why do you proactively busy out the modems in this case (signal to the
> switch), when the isdn channels are the ones that should be busied out?

Um, you're right, it was my foggy memory that was faulty.

>> Maybe if you look at the modem logs, they'll provide some
>> explanation, unless they have rolled over past the busyout event.
>>

> I just reloaded the box :( and loaded 12.3.19....i'm waiting for
> busied out calls to appear again.
> Then i'll try to grab the modem logs.
>
> --
> Tassos

OK.

I do have one concern that I should raise here, about using current 12.3
mainline code on MICA platforms - (such as the 5300, or the 3600/3700
with NM-DM modems) - see below.  I think if I were running such a
platform, I would be tempted to run latest 12.3(6) throttle (12.3(6f))
rather than a subsequent 12.3M release.

Regards,

Aaron

---

CSCei63851
mica modems randomly marked as bad in any version afer 12.3(6)
Release-note: Modified 050919

Click to see the enclosure with line wrapping enabled

In 3640 and 5300 platform running any version after 12.3(6), mica modems
may randomly
marked as BAD

The symptoms observed only in situations where call success rate(CSR) is
very
low and there are good amount of calls failing continously in modem to modem
trainup

Modem log of modem in bad state, showed that IOS put modem out of service
because modem failed to go onhook/offhook

Workaround
-Use 12.3(6)d or any version before it

-Manually download the modem portware to spe that has bad modem using
 "firmware location.." command in spe mode

-Reboot the router

-Make sure many calls are not failing in trainup that is CSR is good

---

This is marked Unreproducible, although it probably should be reopened,
as this problem is seen on 5300s and 36/3700s on all 12.3 mainline after
the 12.3(6) throttle.