[cisco-nas] X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 17 10:35:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

quite a while ago...

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:10:56PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> > a customer of ours currently has a dedicated PABX which is feeding an
> > ISDN PRI into a bank of about 20 "ISDN modems" (USR Courier I-Modem,
> > which do X.75 and "V.34 stuff" modem calls).  Modems are connected
> > to serial terminal servers, which in turn connect to an AIX unix system.
[..]
> > So the idea was to build something with a router - PRI channel into
> > router, "transparent TCP stream" out of the router to the AIX system,
[..]

> Should work.
>
> Here's the config for this, more or less.  Here I am assuming that you
> intend to support both voiceband modem modulations (V.90, V.34, V.32,
> etc.) and LAPB-TA, on calls into your E1, but nothing else (not V.110,
> V.120, sync PPP ...)

The customer finally gave me the "go" for this project, and I did some
initial tests on a 3640 with an NM-8B today.

What shall I say?  "Thank you very much!!"

Everything worked right out of the box.  The calls come in, X.75
autodetection seems to work every time (unlike some of the existing ISDN
modems), the setup is fairly robust (again, unlike some of the existing
ISDN modems...), and the Cisco side is really perfectly quiet and
transparent about things.

Customer is duly impressed :-)  (and we're now trying to figure out
what sort of hardware to get, because they don't know yet whether they
need to handle analog calls or isdn only, or modem as well - and whether
they will have a PMX or just "many ISDN S/T").

Now, two more questions have come up.

- the 3640 only has 16 vty lines (0..15).  This is on 12.2(46a) "ip only".

  If I fill the NM-8B with calls, I might have 16 concurrent X.75
  calls - double that for 2 NM-8Bs, or for a PRI interface.

  Will more recent IOS versions and/or different packaging (ip plus) give
  me more VTYs?  Is this documented anywhere?

- for troubleshooting, it would be good to have the incoming caller ID
  information somewhere on the Unix host.  The router has it (obviously),
  but the telnetd on the unix side doesn't.

  Will some sort of "AAA accounting" give me caller ID information?
  Radius, for example?  (As this is not a "typical" dial-in thing...)

  I seem to remember that there is some sort of special "dialer" accounting
  - will that work?

In any case - thanks again for your advice, and if you ever happen to be
in Munich, i owe you a beer or two :-)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de