[cisco-nas] PPPOE w/ Radius specified IP & subnet mask problems

Aaron Seelye aseelye-lists at eltopia.com
Fri Jan 22 17:26:58 EST 2010

Hello,

I have the following config, and for dynamic IP customers, it seems to
be good so far (only testing one user, want to get the kinks worked out
before fully implementing).  However, we have a problem in that the
subnet mask that's being negotiated seems to be a /8 (Old Class A
default).  Also, if we specify the IP address in Radius, the Cisco seems
to ignore that in the Access-Reply, and continue to assign the original
address it'd intended from its pool.  Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated, as the "ppp ipcp mask 255.255.255.255" seems to have no
effect on the netmask negotiated, and no amount of dial turning has
yielded results on the Radius-assigned IP issue.

TIA,

Aaron Seelye

aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default line
aaa authentication ppp default group radius
aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius

vpdn enable
!
vpdn-group number
  accept-dialin
   protocol pppoe
   virtual-template 1
!
vc-class atm PPP7.1
   protocol pppoe
   ubr 7840
   no ilmi manage
   encapsulation aal5snap
!
interface ATM3/0.311 point-to-point
  description POVN
  pvc 3/11
   class-vc PPP7.1
!
interface Virtual-Template1
  ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
  ip mtu 1492
  peer default ip address pool pppoe146
  ppp authentication pap chap
  ppp ipcp mask 255.255.255.255
!
ip local pool pppoe146 192.168.146.1 192.168.146.254
!
radius-server host 192.168.131.3 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646
radius-server attribute 8 include-in-access-req
radius-server attribute nas-port format d
radius-server key 7 03035D13555B7248