[nsp] Secondary IP address not seen

Marlow, Travis Travis.Marlow@everestgt.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:00:52 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C23A3D.C6BE94F0

As far as I know, this is normal behavior for secondary addresses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Brown [mailto:telbrown@btinternet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:55 AM
To: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: [nsp] Secondary IP address not seen

Guys,

Can anyone offer an explanation for the following: -

I have allocated a secondary IP address to a FastEthernet interface on my
7204 router running IOS 12.1 using the following command: -

 "ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x secondary"

[The interface is running HSRP on the primary address but not on the
secondary]

 I have an IP helper on the interface to my DHCP server.

I have created an additional superscope on the DHCP server so that I can
have 500+ IP addresses on the same wire.

The problem is I cannot see the secondary IP address from the network
(cannot ping it from a client machine or even from the router itself). If I
do a show run the interface has accepted the address. If I ping the
broadcast address for the secondary subnet I get a response from all IP
addresses on both the primary and the secondary subnets. If I manually edit
a client PC with an IP address from the secondary range but use the primary
address gateway as the default then the machine can communicate over the
network., but if I allocate the default gateway as the secondary IP address
on the interface the client cannot see it??

Any ideas guys?

Regards

Tel

------_=_NextPart_001_01C23A3D.C6BE94F0

<HTML><HEAD>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=656150016-02082002><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>As far
as I know, this is normal behavior for secondary addresses.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Terry Brown
  [mailto:telbrown@btinternet.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:55
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net<BR><B>Subject:</B> [nsp] Secondary
  IP address not seen<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Guys,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Can anyone offer an explanation for the
  following: -</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have allocated a secondary IP address to a
  FastEthernet interface on my 7204 router running IOS 12.1 using the following
  command: -</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;"ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x secondary"</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>[The interface is running HSRP on the primary
  address but&nbsp;not on the secondary]</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;I have an IP helper on the interface to my
  DHCP server.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have created an additional superscope on the
  DHCP server so that I can have 500+ IP addresses on the same
wire.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The problem is I cannot see the secondary IP
  address from the network&nbsp;(cannot ping it from a client machine or even
  from the router itself). If I do a show run the interface has accepted the
  address. If I ping the broadcast address for the secondary subnet I get a
  response from all IP addresses on both the primary and the secondary subnets.
  If I manually edit a client PC with an IP address from the secondary range but
  use the primary address&nbsp;gateway as the default then the machine can
  communicate over the network., but if I allocate the default gateway as the
  secondary IP address on the interface the client cannot see it??</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any ideas guys?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Tel</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C23A3D.C6BE94F0--