[nsp] 12.0(22)S - avoid it

Antoine Versini vox@t-online.fr
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:51:33 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

A few days ago, I upgraded five GSR from 12.0(19)S2 to the brand new
12.0(22)S (the one that merges the S and ST trains)... What a mistake !

1/ Some STM-16 links between involved GSR became to flap. Got "Loss of
signal" one side and "Loss of frame" other side, got a _huge_ amount of
"Input errors" even when doing a "loopback internal"... The links flaped
more when they where taken out of production, interresting.

2/ Bogus BGP advertisements appeared. A "show ip bgp neighbor X
advertised" was correct, but the peer actually didn't received any of
the prefixes. "clear soft out" or "clear out" didn't solved the issue, I
had to reset the session. This happen on different routers, on different
IX...

3/ A "neighbor X weight Z" (where X can be an actual BGP peer or a peer
group) is accepted by the router but not shown in a "show run" nor
applied. But an inbound route-map with a "set weight" was still working.

I also noticed some strange latencies in ssh or telnet (you known, when
the charaters you type are echoed slowly). The averaged CPU usage was 8%
before, 11% after the upgrade. So is the memory usage, 20MB more than
with the previous version...

Well, all that I can say is that this version has some issues (and, yes, I
was foolish to put in production a 12.0S version with no digit behind the
'S' ;-) ). Now reverting to 12.0(21)ST3. Too bad, the new SSO (successor
of RPR+) was very promising...

If someone had any issue with 12.0(21)ST3, please tell me!

--
Antoine Versini