[nsp] 12.0(22)S - avoid it

Leon Chang leon.c@staff.ihug.co.nz
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:23:33 +1200 (NZST)

Unfortunately I heard about 12.0(22)S actually is 12.0(22)ST after I have
upgraded our core routers to 12.0(22)S, this was intended to solve the
dCAR on dot1q interfaces bug. A 7576 crashed 14 hours after
upgrade right in the middle of peak time with output stuck and cbus
complex on FE interface. We have reverted back to 12.0(21)S3.

I am very suprised that Cisco has decided to merge 12.0ST train into S
train without telling people exactly what they have done since stability
is supposed to be the top priority for S-train and people upgrade to the
latest version to avoid known bugs and hoping to improve stability.

In your case, 12.0(21)S3 is still the most stable version from my
experience, I would rather run 12.0(21)S3 and move the affected interface
to another FE port on a separate VIP card to work around the dCAR bug.

Regards,

Leon Chang, CCNP, CCDP
Senior Network Engineer
The Internet Group Ltd. (IHUG), Auckland, New Zealand  AS7657
PH:  +64 9 359 2710