[nsp] router-switch port speed negotiation

James Sneeringer james+cisco@vincentsystems.com
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:18:16 -0500

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 12:10:45AM -0400, jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

| Don't do it well, or don't do it at all??

It doesn't do it well.  Speed is (usually) negotiated properly, but duplex
usually isn't.  Do a "show controller fast 0/0" and look for a line
starting with "BCR9".  If it says half-duplex, but "show interface" says
full (as below), you need to force full duplex.

|   Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

In my experience, output from "show interface" is wrong.  I've also noted
that the full-duplex LED on the back never lights up.  I'm on 12.0(7)T,
and have seen this behavior against Cisco 3500XL and HP 4000M switches.

-James