[nsp] Flash Memory via Compact Flash card

Jared Mauch jared@puck.nether.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:27:15 -0400

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:28:58AM -0400, Brian Wallingford wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
>
> :On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jared Mauch wrote:
> :
> :> 	I'm using a ATA flash disk in my 7200.  Works fine.  Only caveat
> :> is you need to format it inside the router once it's there to insure
> :> it writes all the bootloader stuff.
> :
> :I don't have one available to try, or I'd just do it...but do these also
> :work in 3640's?
>
> Nope, not even close :)   Drastically different architecture.

	Actually, I assume that if someone ported the ATA disk
code over to the 3600 platform it should work as long as cisco
hasn't done something very strange with the PCMCIA controllers
involved.

	You may not be able to boot from them but they could
release a "diet" or -boot- image you could load in
the internal flash that had support to read/write the ATA disk
and nothing else so you could access it.

	- Jared