[nsp] Flash Memory via Compact Flash card

Cisco Geek Rotation cisco@peakpeak.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:22:03 -0600

At 11:27 AM 8/27/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:28:58AM -0400, Brian Wallingford wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
> >
> > :On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > :
> > :>    I'm using a ATA flash disk in my 7200.  Works fine.  Only caveat
> > :> is you need to format it inside the router once it's there to insure
> > :> it writes all the bootloader stuff.
> > :
> > :I don't have one available to try, or I'd just do it...but do these also
> > :work in 3640's?
> >
> > Nope, not even close :)   Drastically different architecture.
>
>         Actually, I assume that if someone ported the ATA disk
>code over to the 3600 platform it should work as long as cisco
>hasn't done something very strange with the PCMCIA controllers
>involved.
>
>         You may not be able to boot from them but they could
>release a "diet" or -boot- image you could load in
>the internal flash that had support to read/write the ATA disk
>and nothing else so you could access it.
>
>         - Jared
>
>--

I may have missed the "meat" of this thread.

Do Compact Flash cards with an adapter work in 3600s?  In 7200s?  In 7500s?

I've tried getting some 16Meg compact flash cards and a Sandisk PC Card
adapter from Best Buy and I couldn't get anything to work.

The full-size PC cards I can always seem to get working, but the compact
flash I can't.  Are these supported?

Chris