[nsp] Virtual templates for ISDN users

Josh Duffek jduffek@cisco.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:45:05 -0500

did you run a sniffer/debug and compare the win2k against a working one?
sorry i have no windows clue...but you might want to have a look at this
link:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/38.shtml

anyway...

config t
multilink virtual-template x
end

the 64k people, i assume, are not negotiating multilink, but the 128k people
are...so they (should) get bound to vtempX if you add the above command.

all,
joshd.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon" <dejavu@hivemind.net>
To: <cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: [nsp] Virtual templates for ISDN users

Hi guys,

I have a situation as follows, which I just can't seem to iron out:

- I have two groups of users, some using analogue dial-ups, some using 64K
ISDN dial ups and some using 128K ISDN dial ups. The analogue dial ups does
not conern
  me that much at this moment, but I'm running into problems with the 64K
and 128K dial ups.

- Users using 128K dial ups are having difficulty connecting to secure
sites. Most straightforward pages, work, but portals and secure sites only
seem to load partly and
  then seems to 'freeze'.

I initially thought this to be a problem with the MTU sizes, but this does
not seem to be the case.

Now, I have managed to get around this somehow, by disabling 'ip cef' on my
AS5300's, however, the moment I do this, the 128K users are able to connect
to secure sites but to my dismay the 64K dial up users now are unable to
connect to the secure sites.

Now, I currently have 1 virtual template set up as follows:

interface Virtual-Template1
 ip unnumbered FastEthernet0
 no ip proxy-arp
 no logging event link-status
 no keepalive
 peer default ip address pool default
 fair-queue
 ppp max-bad-auth 3
 ppp authentication pap
 ppp multilink
 multilink max-links 2
 multilink min-links 1
!

This handles my 64K dial ups and 128K dial ups... the only solution I can
think of is to create another Virtual Template, one for 64K and one for
128K, and somehow enable/disable ip cef on only the one interface.

Will this work or are there any other suggestions? Has anyone ever
experienced this problem? It seems mainly related to the Windows 2000/XP OS.

Thanking you in advance,
Regards
Brandon