[nsp] 82/8 allocated to RIPE

Bruce Campbell bruce.campbell@ripe.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:47:24 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Rob Thomas wrote:

> Hi, Hank.
>
> ] I would like to see IANA and the all the RIRs actually announce the list of
> ] unallocated /8s and blackhole all of them at a couple of dozen routers
>
> ...only if those routers are EXTREMELY well protected and all adhere to
> the same set of administrative and security best practices.  The blast
> radius of a mistake or a hack in such a configuration could be quite
> large.

The other issue is that the RIRs do not want to be in a situation where a
mistake on the RIR's part can lead to extensive liability (such as
inadvertant denial of service to lots of people).

Hence, although the RIRs will be making available near-real-time
authoritative listings of unallocated space within their blocks (see apops
list), access to such lists will be made on the premise that usage of the
information is purely on an 'as-is' basis.

--==--
Bruce.