[nsp] Suggestions on Load Balancing

Brian Zeitz bzeitz at vikingservnet.com
Fri Dec 13 15:25:45 EST 2002

I was asked to set up the following for www.mydomain.com
<http://www.mydomain.com/>

I know how I would do it with 2 firewall, I could just treat it as
different sites, and use global load balancing. But they now want me to
set this up with a single firewall. Here is the diagram.

Internet--->T1------->Cisco 3640 (4ether)---3550EMI\______Pix 515UR
(w/FO and 4DMZ)----Coyotepoint (FreeBSD Based) Load balancer with
Failover---->Web Server Cluster

Internet--->T1------->Cisco 3640 (4ether)---3550EMI/

The T1s need to be active/active and be able to fail over in an outage.

I am not sure how I would go about taking the 2 outbound Ethernet IPs of
the routers, and have them go though the firewall. I thought about HSRP,
but even still, It looks like I would need 2 Firewalls. Is there anyway
to combine the T1s and have them come out as a single IP? I know I am
asking the world. Just looking for some suggestions as I sit here
looking at the wall.