[nsp] inbound failover without BGP?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Tue Dec 17 11:07:11 EST 2002

True, this addresses many points of failure and may be what I end up doing,
but it doesn't match *all* the resiliency available using BGP with seperate
providers.  If a provider has routing instability, using BGP I can just stop
my announcements to that provider and incoming traffic stabilizes.  If they
go bankrupt or lose their peering agreements with other tier1's I'm not SOL.

> While going to two different providers may get other-end router
> diversity it may not get physical diversity out of your building or up
> to the telco CO.  Do you have CPE-router diversity on your end to
> prevent router problems from causing outages? [...]

Yes, cpe and physical circuit paths are both redundant.

> Just asking because there seems to be unreasonable FUD in this area.

I get your point and don't disagree, and the comments are of course
appreciated, but I was hoping there was something new - a feature of some
routing protocol I didn't know about - that I'd slept through, that would
match bgp-multihoming's redundancy without matching its requirement for use
of a /24.

-t.