[nsp] routing table

Marc Xander Makkes marc at sara.nl
Wed Dec 18 23:52:51 EST 2002

Hi dave,

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 davek@pacific.net.sg wrote:

> hi, need some advise on simple routing..
>
>  ip route xx yy zz
>
> suppose I have a static route with the next hop specified as a pt-to-pt IP address (zz) on the same router.
 If the interface for that pt-to-pt IP address is down, should the static route (for xx) still take effect,
when the router learn the next hop (zz) as /16 or other prefix length, instead of /30.
The longer prefixes is advertised (OSPF) by other routers which is a few hops away.

solution:

ip route xx yy <interface> zz

The zz is optinal for point-to-point links, but a must if you are using
point-to-multipoint ( ethernet ). When the interface is down, the route is
removed from the forwarding table.

> Realise different vendors do it differently. Some drop, some don't.  Who is correct??

Depends on how mutch you rftm.

> Anyone knows any RFC on the selection/dropping of routes?

Nope, there isn't one, its up to the vendor.

Yours,

-Marc