[nsp] Cat6509 MSFC1 interface stats.

James Kilton kilton9 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 19:07:22 EST 2002

Hello.

Does the PFC always do most of the switching, or is
this only when MLS is enabled?  I ask because the MSFC
is using CEF, and MLS is disabled.

#sh ip cef sum
IP Distributed CEF with switching (Table Version
2979), flags=0x0
  182 routes, 0 reresolve, 0 unresolved (0 old, 0
new), peak 12
  185 leaves, 47 nodes, 71080 bytes, 2981 inserts,
2796 invalidations
  0 load sharing elements, 0 bytes, 0 references
  universal per-destination load sharing algorithm, id
73C70EA9
  2 CEF resets, 1 revisions of existing leaves
  Resolution Timer: Exponential (currently 1s, peak
2s)
  1 in-place/0 aborted modifications
  refcounts:  6134 leaf, 5836 node
Adjacency Table has 119 adjacencies

What's strange to me though, is that as per this
document
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a0080092389.shtml),
CEF isn't supported on the SUP1A, which is what we're
using.  Yet the above output seems to indicate
otherwise, and a "show ip int vlan 101" shows that "IP
CEF switching is enabled".  Was CEF made possible on
SUP1A by an IOS release after the above article was
written?

In any case... If the layer 3 interface counters don't
reflect packets that are CEF switched, then perhaps
the numbers I'm getting make sense.  Anyone know if
this is the case?

https://digitalid.verisign.com/services/client/index.html