[nsp] Cat6509 MSFC1 interface stats.

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Thu Dec 19 16:29:28 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 04:07, James Kilton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Does the PFC always do most of the switching, or is
> this only when MLS is enabled?  I ask because the MSFC
> is using CEF, and MLS is disabled.
[snip]
> What's strange to me though, is that as per this
> document
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a0080092389.shtml),
> CEF isn't supported on the SUP1A, which is what we're
> using.  Yet the above output seems to indicate

There's a difference between CEF being enabled locally on the MSFC (for
packets that are actually switched by the MSFC) and the Sup2/PFC2 which
uses CEF directly with the PFC2. The Sup1A/PFC MLS, if I understand it
correctly, punts the first packet in a flow to the MSFC, which then
routes the packet normally (and for this, you can have CEF enabled, to
handle the actual switching of this packet on the MSFC), and installs an
MLS cache entry on the PFC to switch additional packets in the flow
directly on the PFC ASICs. In that scenario, it would be normal that the
interface counters on the MSFC only show the few packets that actually
gets sent up to it from the Sup/PFC. (With the Sup2/PFC2 you in fact
hardly see any packets at all on the MSFC's interface counters)

You are saying that you have MLS disabled - have you just disabled it on
this interface with "no mls ip" on the vlan int, or globally?

/leg