[nsp] RE: [nsp]

Marcus Keane mkeane@microsoft.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:44:45 +1000

James,

I would doubt that the telesyn switches support 802.1q or even VLANs? If =
your two Cisco switches are close together you could use a crossed UTP =
cable and trunk between them. Otherwise you will need another =
copper/fibre access link connecting the two halves of the second VLAN. =
You would still run the 802.1q trunk between the router and one of the =
switches. Hope this helps.
Marcus.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Caasi [mailto:jamesky@hotmail.com]=20
Sent: 23 July 2002 11:48
To: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: [nsp]=20

Thanks Arie,

      The switch that we bought does not have a fiber uplink so we =
bought=20
Allied telesyn switches (2-port swtich.. one port is RJ-45 and the other =
is=20
fiber) to connect the switches. Should this affect the VTP port in =
between=20
the Cisco switches?

      Should there be any problem with VLAN if another switch technology =

goes in between the VLAN trunking of Cisco?

James

Hi James

a) You could trunk one port of the switch to your router and handle on =
your router
        all necessary inter-vlan traffic (often done)

        search on CCO for inter-vlan to find some sample configs for =
your=20
job. You
might
        only face a problem with this approach due to the limited =
bandwith=20
on the
trunked
        port, if you have mainly inter-vlan traffic. maybe monitoring=20
bandwith with
mrtg
        (via snmp) on that port would be a good idea.

b) you can buy a l3 switch with is able to route inter-vlan traffic =
internally

regards
arie

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----