[nsp] Catalyst 4506 comparison with 6506

Hroi Sigurdsson hroi@ngdc.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:03:05 +0100

Charlie Winckless wrote:

> The big caveat here is that the 'feature' licence
> to do any reasonable routing protocol is another
> $10k (since it's just to match Extreme, etc, in
> this market space), and I don't /think/ they do
> BGP

They do (at least 4006/SupIII), but Cisco does not recommend more than
100k prefixes. I've loaded a full table (110k) on a 4006/SupIII without
any noticable problems but I have not tested it very much. Maybe they
are just discouraging use in a role where they would rather sell you a
6500 instead (or, more likely, I'm just paranoid). There is a bugnote
CSCdv20786 for missing BGP Policy Accounting feature, maybe it will be
implemented sometime? On the other hand 6500 does not have this feature
either.
In my experience Netflow export does not work at all on 4006.

--
Hroi Sigurdsson                                hroi@ngdc.net
NetGroup A/S                             http://www.ngdc.net