[nsp] Guaranteeing minimum bandwidth on shared access and capping the max

Eduard Metz emetz@thrupoint.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:10:37 +0100

There are several ways to approach this (in theory ;-)).

One thing you could have a look at is MQC (modular QoS CLI), it has some
features to built hierarchical policies. That could be helpful in this case.

The outbound traffic you can limit on the outgoing interface through e.g.
shaping the traffic to 3 Mbps, and within that use CBWFQ to assign a minimum
share of 512 to each usergroup.

For inbound traffic you could either try to limit the traffic on the
incoming interface by policing. Per class you mark the volume up to 512 kbps
as conforming, then on the aggregate policer you make sure not to drop to
the 'conforming' traffic (but still count it) and police the aggregate at 3
Mbps. Alternative you could try to implement a shaping+scheduling policy on
the outgoing interface (VLAN), or even better outgoing at the other side of
the FE link.

I'm not completely sure about the feasibility of the inbound part, but hope
this helps anyway.

cheers,
	Eduard