[nsp] Switch and Bridge confusion

gab jones seun_ewulomi@hotmail.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:29:19 +0000

Hi People,

I just need opinions on this scenario. And please feel very free to correct
me because I have put what I think is happening

I have a router that as spanning tree disabled on the ethernet interface.
The ethernet interface is connected to a port on a switch which as spanning
tree enabled. The connection between the router and switch is bridged.

NOTE - the router(ethernet interface) is configured to act as a bridge. And
all devices are all on the same network.

_S2         __           __           _
| |_________|  |_________|  |_________| | S1
|_|         | R|         | R|         |_|
            |__|         |__|

R = Router(used as a bridge no spanning tree)
S = switch (both have spanning tree enabled)

1)My question is will this cause any loops on the ethernet interfaces on the
router.
2)Will both routers learn all the mac addresses discovered by both switches
3)will S2 also know all the mac addresses on S1

__________
My answers

1) I dont think it would because both routers are bridging in which case
when a host sends a packet from S1 to a host on S2. S2 will deal with the
loops because it has spanning tree enabled

2)Im not to sure about this one.
3)I would say yes because both routers are bridging which basically means
the LAN is being extended

regards,
gab