[nsp] 82/8 allocated to RIPE

Stephen Gill gillsr@yahoo.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:53:19 -0600

Pekka,

] Note: the announcements could even be generated by a script which
fetches
] the latest IANA page and compares it to a previous one; I don't know
how
] you monitor updates now, Rob.

Updates are checked for through an automated process by multiple people;
the steps to update the appropriate documentation accordingly are
somewhat less automated but are typically turned around in a very short
timeframe.  In a way it is nice to have the bogons updated first so when
a more formal/public announcement is made there is a template to point
to.  If you went the script route you might gain about 12-24 hours
advanced notice.

Cheers,
-- steve

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-admin@puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-admin@puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Pekka Savola
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 6:15 PM
To: Philip Smith
Cc: Rob Thomas; Cisco List
Subject: Re: [nsp] 82/8 allocated to RIPE

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Philip Smith wrote:
> >] The point of a dedicated list is that it doesn't have any
additional
> >] traffic (e.g. an announce-only, no discussion allowed); you can
e.g.

> >Sure, that makes good sense.  I'm more than willing to host such a
list
> >if there are enough interested folks.  I'll wait a bit to hear what
> >others think.
>
> And how do we get people to subscribe to yet another announcement
list? In
> theory it's a nice idea, but I think the reality is that such
information
> has to be stuck into people's faces this way so that the bogon filters

> stand a chance of getting changed...

You seem to make an assumption that announcements that are currently
sent
would cease to exist.

I didn't; I was assuming it would just be one additional,
"semi-official"
channel for announcing updates.

Yes, I agree that something more automated, closer to the source (IANA)
would be better, but that may not be the case.