[nsp] 7609 IOS

Chris Whyte cwhyte@microsoft.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:47:11 -0800

> > It seems that only OSM modules can run MPLS protocol in
> order to be a P
> > interface, and also only OSM interfaces can be configured
> in VRF's as PE
> > interfaces.
>
> That's our conclusion too. Since the GE-WAN OSM port price is rather
> high compared to normal 6516 or 6816 ports, we try to only use them
> when we have to. Currently we're testing a solution based on 6516 to
> connect to lots of other switches, and then an external connection
> from a 6516 port to a GE-WAN port in order to put only those VLANs
> we need into VRFs.

Of course, there's a good reason why they're more expensive and,
therefore, quite useful over 6516s and 6816s. Adequate buffering is
something that many of us have learned, usually the hard way, to be a
very good thing in maintaining performance and stability within our
networks.

My only intention in sending this e-mail is to remind those who
sometimes get caught up in chosing (lower) cost over quality -- a common
problem these days.

Thanks,

Chris