[nsp] RE: Time limiting ISDN connections < further

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave@hawk-systems.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:09:04 -0400

Further to the "disconnecting ISDN calls and restricting access during peak
hours"...

Received a couple of responces, among them;

>You're opening a huge can of worms here.  Customers are going to end up
>redailing and racking up huge phone bills.  ISDN redials awfully fast,
>and that nickel per call can add up amazingly quick.

We are not subject to any per call costs in this area. So this is not a concern,
though the ISDN router (Cisco 802) could keep two ports pretty much occupied
with the speedy redials, untill they give up sending data.

Can the redial timeframe be adjusted to say 15 min?

Another suggestion has some promise...

>Another approach would be to make the "dialer-list" a time based access
>list (if that is possible), so that after the permitted time, all traffic
>will be considered "uninteresting" and the idle-timer will kick them
>out...

We are using Cisco 802 routers, didn't see any options for time based dialer or
access lists.

In experimenting while waiting for helpful tidbits, found that the 802 did
honour a "Session-Timeout" AVPair, which would allow us to take the connection
time and calculate how many seconds untill their termination time and pass that
attribute back to them.  This will get them off the system automatically, but
would like to avoid them banging away with 2 connections every second with the
ISDN router (which would have the same affect on line count as them being
online.

Delay in the dialup retry or a time-based access or dialer list look like the
best solutions so far...  any expansion on those ideas given the above
information?

Appreciate all the comments to date.

Dave